Well this just sucks a warted schlong. The Gallup 2018 Global Emotions Report reveals that negative emotions reached a new high all over the world in 2017.
Mindfulness expert Julie Potiker ain’t having it. She wants us to feel more joy more often. We’re down with that!
“Life is full of emotional chaos,” says Julie, “but bringing it back to focused activities that give joy to your soul can mean the difference between making it or breaking it day to day, year to year.”
So, what can we do to get that joyful vibe? Amazingly enough, Julie has some tips for us:
1. Today, find 10 – 15 minutes to grab a pen and paper (your journal if you keep one) and write down everything you can think of that brings you joy.
2. Add anything and everything joyful to your list, from simple things like feeling the warmth of your morning beverage in your hands to big-picture “wish list” items like a relaxing beach vacation with your favorite people. Make sure your list includes plenty of simple, accessible joys and as many plan-worthy joys as you like.
3. Pick one thing from your joy list each day and do it! This simple commitment to your own well-being is nothing less than transformative.
4. Occasionally, pick out one of your big-picture wish list items from your list and start planning it out. Research reveals that thinking about and planning something you’re excited about creates feelings of joy and happiness!
5. Whenever you find yourself experiencing something joyful, pause for a moment and really let that joy sink in. Breathe into it and let it fill you up. Relish it! Beyond just savoring the moment, this action also helps you to install these good feelings in your brain, rewiring it so you are even more predisposed to joy in the future.
Our goal then is to fart rainbows of joy!
Haus of V is a creative collective that shares a similar mindset -- with a twist.